What Is a Mexico Tourist Card and How Can I Get It? Part 1

Are you planning to visit Mexico for your vacation, the land of the Mayas and Aztecs, beautiful beaches and tequila? Or you live in San Diego and opt for a weekend getaway to enjoy exotic tourist attractions in Baja California?

From choosing your own route to adding a bit of comfort to your trip, traveling by car can be your best choice. After all, Mexico and San Diego are so close that it would be a pity not to enjoy the wonders of this colorful neighboring country to the fullest. Just make sure to purchase Mexico insurance in San Diego for your four-wheeler for safe and worry-free driving.

Last but not least! Besides your temporary Mexico auto insurance policy, you’ll need a Mexico tourist card, also known as FMM. Here is everything you should know!

Who needs a Mexico tourist card?

All tourists staying in Mexico for more than 72 hours or traveling beyond the 16-mile border zone must have a Mexico tourist card.

Although you don’t need a vehicle permit for driving in Baja California, you ought to have a tourist card in order to travel around the state. In case you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen you need only a tourist card, but citizens from other countries should check if they need a visa to travel to Mexico.

And there’s another thing you need to obtain: your temporary Mexico auto insurance.

What documentation do I need to get a Mexico tourist card?

If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen, you only need to submit a valid passport or passport card to the Mexican Immigration officials in order to obtain a tourist card.

What information am I required to provide?

You will be asked to fill in the form providing the Mexican officials with the information as presented in the passport:

  • Full name
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth
  • Passport number
  • Purpose of trip
  • How you are entering Mexico: air, sea, land

How much does a Mexico tourist card cost?

It costs 553 pesos, which is around 24 U.S. dollars, and can be issued for up to 180 days. It’s recommended to have your tourist card valid for 180 days, although you aren’t staying that long in Mexico. It is always better to have more time at your disposal than bothering to extend your card in case you need (or want) to stay longer.

How do I get a Mexico tourist card?

If you’re traveling to Mexico by plane, you’ll get a tourist card and instructions for the application form before boarding. The cost of the card is already included in your plane fare. Your tourist card will be stamped at customs at the airport, upon your arrival in Mexico.

In case you’re traveling to Mexico by car, just show your ID or passport to prove U.S. or Canadian citizenship at the border inspection station/immigration office. If you haven’t got your tourist card at the Mexican consulate, you can pick it up right there at the border, at the point of entry. Also, don’t forget to purchase your temporary Mexico auto insurance before you set off. Once you cross the border, you’ll need to pay for the tourist card at the bank, and then have it stamped at the nearest immigration office.

It’s best to obtain your tourist card at a Mexico consular office or apply for it online at the website of Mexico’s National Immigration Institute. You can apply for the card up to 7 days before your departure and after you arrive in Mexico, show your filled-in card to the immigration official, and they will write the number of days you are allowed to stay in Mexico.

The best way to get temporary Mexico auto insurance in San Diego

Now that you know what a Mexico tourist card is and how to get it, the only thing left to cover before your road trip is your temporary Mexico auto insurance! Reach out to Oscar Padilla Mexican Insurance, a well-established authorized Mexican car insurance provider in San Diego! You don’t live in San Diego? No problem! We boast a user-friendly and secure online system that allows obtaining auto insurance in no time! Get your free Mexico car insurance quote today!